- marriage outside a specific tribe or similar social unit.Compare endogamy.
- Biology. the union of gametes of unrelated parents.
Origin of exogamy
Examples from the Web for exogamous
Historical Examples of exogamous
In Raigarh the Bhuiyas appear to have no exogamous divisions.
The equivalent Anumolla occurs as an exogamous sept of Kamma.
Among the Vallambans these karais are exogamous, and run in the male line.
Each of these is further sub-divided into clans (kiriyam), which are exogamous.
They recognize no endogamous sub-divisions, but have exogamous septs.
- sociol anthropol the custom or an act of marrying a person belonging to another tribe, clan, or similar social unitCompare endogamy
- biology fusion of gametes from parents that are not closely related
Word Origin and History for exogamous
- Sexual reproduction by means of conjugation of two gametes of different ancestry, as in certain protozoan species.