- marriage outside a specific tribe or similar social unit.Compare endogamy.
- Biology. the union of gametes of unrelated parents.
Origin of exogamy
Examples from the Web for exogamy
Historical Examples of exogamy
See the authorities cited by Frazer in Totemism and Exogamy.Introduction to the History of Religions
Crawford Howell Toy
Even in such cases we find transitions to the next form of exogamy.
When capture disappeared, the exogamy to which it gave rise remained.
This represents the exogamy which is associated with the totem.
Andrew Lang declared himself in agreement with this explanation of exogamy.
- sociol anthropol the custom or an act of marrying a person belonging to another tribe, clan, or similar social unitCompare endogamy
- biology fusion of gametes from parents that are not closely related
Word Origin and History for exogamy
- Sexual reproduction by means of conjugation of two gametes of different ancestry, as in certain protozoan species.