- marriage within a specific tribe or similar social unit.Compare exogamy(def 1).
Origin of endogamy
Examples from the Web for endogamy
Historical Examples of endogamy
In people living in small communities, endogamy does not appear to have ever existed.
Sometimes an endogamy of religious origin is met with, among the Jews for example.
They formerly had endogamy, and it is stated that brothers and sisters married.Folkways
William Graham Sumner
There is in this case exogamy in relation to the clan and endogamy in relation to the tribe.The Races of Man
It simply means marrying-out, in contrast to endogamy, or marrying-in.Anthropology
- anthropol marriage within one's own tribe or similar unitCompare exogamy (def. 1)
- pollination between two flowers on the same plant
- Reproduction by the fusion of gametes of similar ancestry.
- Marriage within a particular group in accordance with custom or law.