- marriage within a specific tribe or similar social unit.Compare exogamy(def 1).
Origin of endogamy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for endogamy
In people living in small communities, endogamy does not appear to have ever existed.
Sometimes an endogamy of religious origin is met with, among the Jews for example.
They formerly had endogamy, and it is stated that brothers and sisters married.Folkways
William Graham Sumner
There is in this case exogamy in relation to the clan and endogamy in relation to the tribe.The Races of Man
It simply means marrying-out, in contrast to endogamy, or marrying-in.Anthropology
- anthropol marriage within one's own tribe or similar unitCompare exogamy (def. 1)
- pollination between two flowers on the same plant
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for endogamy
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Reproduction by the fusion of gametes of similar ancestry.
- Marriage within a particular group in accordance with custom or law.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.