- marriage within a specific tribe or similar social unit.Compare exogamy(def 1).
Origin of endogamy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for endogamous
The evidence does not show, however, that it was endogamous.
These divisions were once endogamous, but this distinction has now disappeared.
They recognize no endogamous sub-divisions, but have exogamous septs.
They have two endogamous sub-divisions, called Kodi and Peringala.
The same community cannot be 'both exogamous and endogamous,' as some suppose.Social Origins and Primal Law
- anthropol marriage within one's own tribe or similar unitCompare exogamy (def. 1)
- pollination between two flowers on the same plant
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for endogamous
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Reproduction by the fusion of gametes of similar ancestry.
- Marriage within a particular group in accordance with custom or law.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.