- the quality of being expedient; advantageousness; advisability.
- a regard for what is politic or advantageous rather than for what is right or just; a sense of self-interest.
- something expedient.
Origin of expediency
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for expediencesadvantage, advisability, benefit, convenience, effectiveness, efficiency, fitness, helpfulness, opportunism, opportunity, order, policy, practicality, propriety, prudence, suitability, usefulness, utility, aptness, properness
Examples from the Web for expediences
Historical Examples of expediences
Indeed, they are the results of various necessities and expediences.
- appropriateness; suitability
- the use of or inclination towards methods that are advantageous rather than fair or just
- another word for expedient (def. 3)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012