- capable of being expended.
- (of an item of equipment or supply) consumed in use or not reusable.
- considered to be not worth keeping or maintaining.
- Military. (of personnel, equipment, or supplies) capable of being sacrificed in order to accomplish a military objective.
- Usually expendables. an expendable person or thing.
Origin of expendable
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for expendability
Historical Examples of expendability
Ivy, after ten years in Interstel, you should know that experience and expendability are synonymous.Attrition
- that may be expended or used up
- not essential; not worth preserving
- able to be sacrificed to achieve an objective, esp a military one
- something that is expendable
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper