- outside the regular curriculum or program of courses: football, orchestra, and other extracurricular activities.
- outside one's regular work, responsibilities, or routine.
- Informal. outside the conventional bounds of propriety or ethics: Does his wife know he has an extracurricular girlfriend?
Origin of extracurricular
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for extra-curricular
The list of extra-curricular activities offered to children includes ballet, sport, music, drama, French and animal care.Where Will Kate Middleton and Prince William Send Their Kid to School?
December 4, 2012
Though afternoon farmwork occupied most of the pupils' spare time, some extra-curricular activities were also offered.Frying Pan Farm
Elizabeth Brown Pryor
- taking place outside the normal school timetableextracurricular activities
- beyond the regular duties, schedule, etc
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for extra-curricular
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper