- Also face lifting, face·lift·ing. plastic surgery on the face for elevating sagging tissues and eliminating wrinkles and other signs of age; rhytidectomy.
- a renovation or restyling, as of a room or building, intended to give an attractive, more up-to-date appearance.
- to perform a face-lift upon.
- to renovate or restyle in order to give a fresher, more modern appearance: Our old offices have been face-lifted with new furniture, rugs, and plants.
Origin of face-lift
An Americanism dating back to 1920–25
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a cosmetic surgical operation for tightening sagging skin and smoothing unwanted wrinkles on the face
- any improvement or renovation, as of a building, etc
- (tr) to improve the appearance of, as by a face-lift
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Plastic surgery to remove facial wrinkles, sagging skin, fat deposits, or other visible signs of aging for cosmetic purposes.rhytidectomy rhytidoplasty
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.