- the condition or relation of being a fellow: the fellowship of humankind.
- friendly relationship; companionship: the fellowship of father and son.
- community of interest, feeling, etc.
- communion, as between members of the same church.
- an association of persons having similar tastes, interests, etc.
- a company, guild, or corporation.
- the body of fellows in a college or university.
- the position or emoluments of a fellow of a college or university, or the sum of money he or she receives.
- a foundation for the maintenance of a fellow in a college or university.
- to admit to fellowship, especially religious fellowship.
- to join in fellowship, especially religious fellowship.
Origin of fellowship
SynonymsSee more synonyms for fellowship on Thesaurus.com
2. comradeship, camaraderie, friendship, society, intimacy.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the state of sharing mutual interests, experiences, activities, etc
- a society of people sharing mutual interests, experiences, activities, etc; club
- companionship; friendship
- the state or relationship of being a fellow
- mutual trust and charitableness between Christians
- a Church or religious association
- a financed research post providing study facilities, privileges, etc, often in return for teaching services
- a foundation endowed to support a postgraduate research student
- an honorary title carrying certain privileges awarded to a postgraduate student
- (often capital) the body of fellows in a college, university, etc
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for fellowshipping
To fellowship with is to hold communion with; to unite with in doctrine and discipline. This barbarism now appears with disgusting frequency in the reports of ecclesiastical conventions, and in the religious newspapers generally. [Bartlett, "Dictionary of Americanisms," 1848]
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper