- Architecture. a relatively small, ornamental, terminal feature at the top of a gable, pinnacle, etc.
- an ornamental termination to the top of a piece of furniture, or of one part of such a piece.
- Typography. a curve terminating the main stroke of the characters in some italic fonts.
Origin of finial
Related Words for finiallid, head, point, tip, cap, cover, ceiling, roof, face, surface, height, peak, zenith, climax, crown, culmination, apex, spire, capital, crest
Examples from the Web for finial
Historical Examples of finial
This is especially the case with regard to the shape of the finial.The Bronze Age and the Celtic World
Where the finial joins the roof a rayed sun of cast metal is placed.Leadwork
W. R. Lethaby
Beasts project at the gable angles, and the summit it crowned by a finial.The Shores of the Adriatic
F. Hamilton Jackson
Spires end usually in a boss or finial, surmounted by a weathercock.Architecture
Thomas Roger Smith
And not content with this exuberance in the external ornaments of the arch, the finial interferes with its traceries.The Stones of Venice, Volume III (of 3)
- an ornament on top of a spire, gable, etc, esp in the form of a foliated fleur-de-lys
- an ornament at the top of a piece of furniture, etc
Word Origin for finial
"ornament at the top of a spire, gable, etc.," mid-15c., from fyniall "putting an end to, binding" (early 15c.), a variant of final.