- a special sale of merchandise actually or supposedly damaged by fire.
- a sale, as of assets, at reduced prices, in order to raise money quickly.
Origin of fire sale
An Americanism dating back to 1890–95
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for fire sale
Contemporary Examples of fire sale
Cerberus is now going to have to dump Freedom Group at a fire-sale price.Cerberus to Sell Stake in Gunmaker Freedom Group
December 18, 2012
His Airness only paid Johnson a fire-sale price of $25 million cash in the deal, these three sources say.Michael Jordan Bails Out a Billionaire
March 31, 2010
Historical Examples of fire sale
- a sale of goods at reduced prices after a fire at a shop or factory
- any instance of offering goods or assets at greatly reduced prices to ensure a quick sale
- (as modifier)fire-sale prices
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012