- emergency aid or treatment given to someone injured, suddenly ill, etc., before regular medical services arrive or can be reached.
Origin of first aid
Examples from the Web for first aid
Contemporary Examples of first aid
My only real expenses have been things like first-aid kits, water-purification tablets, batteries, walkie talkies and the like.How to Prepare for December 21, 2012? Preppers Weigh In
December 21, 2012
The marathon is a 26-mile-long feeding, hydrating, first-aid, and security system.New York City Marathon Would Have Been a Logistical Nightmare
November 2, 2012
Historical Examples of first aid
He put one arm, still with the bandages of the first-aid men, about the girl.Two Thousand Miles Below
Charles Willard Diffin
Jed arrived with first-aid stuff, and I set to work, Jed helping.
He didn't look at us, and he hadn't touched the first-aid stuff on the rock.
They are unarmed, but equipped with first-aid kits and stretchers.The Emma Gees
Herbert Wes McBride
And we can haul out a lot of grub, and a first-aid kit and such.David Lannarck, Midget
George S. Harney
- immediate medical assistance given in an emergency
- (as modifier)first-aid box
- (in Barbados) a small shop that sells domestic items after hours
- Emergency treatment administered to an injured or sick person before professional medical care is available.