- to make stable in consistency or condition; reduce from fluidity or volatility to a more stable state.
- to convert atmospheric nitrogen into a useful compound, as a nitrate fertilizer.
- a charted position of a vessel or aircraft, determined by two or more bearings taken on landmarks, heavenly bod-ies, etc.
- the determining of the position of a ship, plane, etc., by mathematical, electronic, or other means: The navigator took a fix on the sun and steered the ship due north.
- an injection of heroin or other narcotic.
- the narcotic or amount of narcotic injected.
- a compulsively sought dose or infusion of something: to need one's daily fix of soap operas on TV.
- an underhand or illegal arrangement, especially one secured through bribery or influence.
- a contest, situation, etc., whose outcome is prearranged dishonestly.
- to arrange for: to fix up a date.
- to provide with; furnish.
- to repair; renew.
- to smooth over; solve: They weren't able to fix up their differences.
Idioms about fix
Origin of fix
synonym study for fix
usage note for fix
Fix ( to ) meaning “to prepare, plan (to)” is another Americanism: We're fixing to go to town. It once occurred in all the eastern coastal states, but it is now chiefly an informal spoken form in the South Midland and South.
OTHER WORDS FROM fix
How to use fix in a sentence
This hearty, golden riff on shepherd’s pie will help you get your mashed potato fix as part of the topping.Vegetarian and vegan main dishes to anchor your Thanksgiving menu|Becky Krystal, Kari Sonde|November 20, 2020|Washington Post
Also, their success depends on whether the irritations of our disorganized contact books are serious enough to make people seek a fix.Marissa Mayer launches her first startup|Lucinda Shen|November 18, 2020|Fortune
The problem lies in the way that machine-learning models are trained and tested, and there’s no easy fix.The way we train AI is fundamentally flawed|Will Heaven|November 18, 2020|MIT Technology Review
While there are multiple quick fixes to faking your geographic location in search, a serious SEO effort will require a more permanent solution.How to check Google search results for different locations|Sponsored Content: SEO PowerSuite|November 17, 2020|Search Engine Land
Being home all that time just leads people to have this kind of susceptibility to do short-term fixes, to get some kind of instant gratification.Free money, big addictions: Inside the booming world of online sports betting|Brett Haensel|November 15, 2020|Fortune
Many patients who die have fixable wounds—their deaths are from hemorrhage.New 'Suspended Animation' Procedure Saves Lives by Replacing Blood with a Cold Electrolyte Solution|Elizabeth Lopatto|April 2, 2014|DAILY BEAST
This particular run, however, is easy fixable by natural features.Down the Yellowstone|Lewis R. Freeman
British Dictionary definitions for fix
- to convert (atmospheric nitrogen) into nitrogen compounds, as in the manufacture of fertilizers or the action of bacteria in the soil
- to convert (carbon dioxide) into organic compounds, esp carbohydrates, as occurs in photosynthesis in plants and some microorganisms
Derived forms of fixfixable, adjective
Word Origin for fix
Scientific definitions for fix
Other Idioms and Phrases with fix
In addition to the idioms beginning with fix
- fix someone's wagon
- fix up
- get a fix
- get a fix on
- if it ain't broke don't fix it
- in a fix