- fastened, attached, or placed so as to be firm and not readily movable; firmly implanted; stationary; rigid.
- rendered stable or permanent, as color.
- set or intent upon something; steadily directed: a fixed stare.
- definitely and permanently placed: a fixed buoy; a fixed line of defense.
- not fluctuating or varying; definite: a fixed purpose.
- supplied with or having enough of something necessary or wanted, as money.
- coming each year on the same calendar date: Christmas is a fixed holiday, but Easter is not.
- put in order.
- Informal. arranged in advance privately or dishonestly: a fixed horse race.
- (of an element) taken into a compound from its free state.
- nonvolatile, or not easily volatilized: a fixed oil.
- Mathematics. (of a point) mapped to itself by a given function.Compare Brouwer fixed-point theorem.
Origin of fixed
Synonyms for fixedSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for fixedlyclosely, attentively, keenly, inevitably, certainly, assuredly, plainly, absolutely, indeed, unquestionably, evidently, definitely, undoubtedly, clearly, inexorably, regularly, strongly, thoroughly, rigidly, tightly
Examples from the Web for fixedly
Historical Examples of fixedly
Even the eyes, which held so fixedly their gaze on the window, were quite expressionless.Within the Law
Certainly someone was there under the trees who was regarding her fixedly.The Dream
If you loved him, Fanny—' Fanny had stopped the dabbing hand, and was looking at her fixedly.Little Dorrit
Then, too, she learnt to silence him by staring at him fixedly.
The grandmother looked at him fixedly, then, in a solemn voice, inquired: "Why?"
- attached or placed so as to be immovable
- not subject to change; stablefixed prices
- steadily directeda fixed expression
- established as to relative positiona fixed point
- not fluctuating; always at the same timea fixed holiday
- (of ideas, notions, etc) firmly maintained
- (of an element) held in chemical combinationfixed nitrogen
- (of a substance) nonvolatile
- astrology of, relating to, or belonging to the group consisting of the four signs of the zodiac Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, and Aquarius, which are associated with stabilityCompare cardinal (def. 9), mutable (def. 2)
- informal equipped or provided for, as with money, possessions, etc
- informal illegally arrangeda fixed trial