- Sometimes footsies. the act of flirting or sharing a surreptitious intimacy.
- play footsie/footsies with,
- to flirt with, especially by clandestinely touching someone's foot or leg; be slyly or furtively intimate with.
- to seek advantage from, especially by discreet or stealthy means; curry favor with.
Also foot·sy, footie.
Origin of footsie
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- informal flirtation involving the touching together of feet, knees, etc (esp in the phrase play footsie)
- an informal name for Financial Times Stock Exchange 100 Index
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for footsy
"amorous play with the feet" [OED], 1944, from foot (n.).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper