- a past participle of forbid.
- not allowed; prohibited: a forbidden food in his religion.
- Physics. involving a change in quantum numbers that is not permitted by the selection rules: forbidden transition.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for forbiddenness
She blushed with an unwonted timidity in a new sense of the forbiddenness of her presence there.We Can't Have Everything
- not permitted by order or law
- physics involving a change in quantum numbers that is not permitted by certain rules derived from quantum mechanics, esp rules for changes in the electrical dipole moment of the system
It was formerly considered incorrect to talk of forbidding someone from doing something, but in modern usage either from or to can be used: he was forbidden from entering/to enter the building
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012