- a person in charge of a particular department, group of workers, etc., as in a factory or the like.
- the member of a jury selected to preside over and speak for all the jurors on the panel.
Origin of foreman
Related Words for foremensuperintendent, supervisor, head, honcho, pusher, executive, boss, manager, overseer, taskmaster
Examples from the Web for foremen
Historical Examples of foremen
The foremen are specialists in their particular departments.The Fabric of Civilization
Wherever there is a factory, you will find all the foremen Protestants—that is, Saxons.
They will not work under Irish foremen, if they can help it.
Not one of the engineers and foremen escaped fever, and many died.Impressions of South Africa
Organize work-gangs, and promote the best and most intelligent to foremen.Space Viking
Henry Beam Piper
- a person, often experienced, who supervises other workmenGender-neutral form: supervisor
- law the principal juror, who presides at the deliberations of a juryFemale equivalent: forewoman
- George . born 1949, US boxer: world heavyweight champion (1973–74); retired in 1977 but re-entered the ring in 1987 and won the heavyweight championship in 1994 at age 45