- simple past tense of forgo.
- to abstain or refrain from; do without.
- to give up, renounce, or resign.
- Archaic. to neglect or overlook.
- Archaic. to quit or leave.
- Obsolete. to go or pass by.
Origin of forgo
Synonyms for forgoSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for forwentrelinquish, quit, abstain, renounce, waive, refrain, resist, eschew, abandon, forsake, abdicate, forbear, cede, sacrifice, abjure, yield, desist, resign, pass, surrender
- the past tense of forgo
- to give up or do without
- archaic to leave
Word Origin for forgo
Old English forgān; see for-, go 1
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper