- simple past tense of forgo.
- to abstain or refrain from; do without.
- to give up, renounce, or resign.
- Archaic. to neglect or overlook.
- Archaic. to quit or leave.
- Obsolete. to go or pass by.
Origin of forgo
SynonymsSee more synonyms for forgo on Thesaurus.com
1. forbear, sacrifice, forsake.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the past tense of forgo
- to give up or do without
- archaic to leave
Old English forgān; see for-, go 1
Word Origin and History for forwent
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper