- operating in the manner of a freewheel.
- (of a person) moving about freely, independently, or irresponsibly.
- (of words, remarks, actions, etc.) unrestrained; irresponsible: Loose, freewheeling charges were traded during the argument.
Origin of freewheeling
- (of a vehicle or its operator) to coast with the wheels disengaged from the driving mechanism.
- to move or function freely, independently, unconcernedly, or the like (often followed by about, through, around, etc.): The two friends freewheeled around the country after graduation.
Origin of freewheel
Related Words for free-wheelingindependent, neutral, nonaligned, uninvolved, unbiased, clear, loose, able, easy, unrestricted, open, unfettered, objective, fair, liberal, disengaged, frank, relaxed, escaped, familiar
Examples from the Web for free-wheeling
Contemporary Examples of free-wheeling
The impression Americans have of a raucous, free-wheeling public debate in Israel may be a thing of the past.Wither The Israeli Press?
October 3, 2012
Historical Examples of free-wheeling
The conversation was free-wheeling and we got onto all sorts of topics.The Night of the Long Knives
Fritz Reuter Leiber
A minute later she was free-wheeling down the hill that led through the village in the direction of Petteridge Court.A harum-scarum schoolgirl
There was an exaltation in free-wheeling down the hills, flying through the air like birds.Loyal to the School
You're the first full-fledged, wide-open, free-wheeling psi-high that's ever appeared in human history.Second Sight
Alan Edward Nourse
Once more he had the sensation of coasting or free-wheeling down a pleasant hill of perfect companionship.Overlooked
- a ratchet device in the rear hub of a bicycle wheel that permits the wheel to rotate freely while the pedals are stationary
- a device in the transmission of some vehicles that automatically disengages the drive shaft when it rotates more rapidly than the engine shaft, so that the drive shaft can turn freely
- (intr) to coast in a vehicle or on a bicycle using the freewheel
- relating to, operating as, or having a freewheel; coasting
- informal free of restraints; carefree or uninhibited