- characterized by or producing frost; freezing; very cold: frosty weather.
- consisting of or covered with a frost: frosty designs on the windows; an avenue of frosty trees.
- lacking warmth of feeling; unfriendly: Their frosty greeting puzzled us.
- resembling frost; white or gray: a wedding dress of frosty satin.
- of or characteristic of old age: a frosty brow.
Origin of frosty
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for frosty
But Byrne himself is the parodist, and he commands the stage by his hollow-eyed, frosty verve.The Stacks: Pauline Kael's Talking Heads Obsession
November 22, 2014
So when you take that first frosty sip of your mint julep in celebration of the Kentucky Derby, enjoy it.The Storied Origins of the Classic Mint Julep
May 3, 2014
Thousands of people wrapped in flags marched in the frosty, smoky air.Inside the Kiev Crackdown
December 10, 2013
The only frosty point came when West asked what sex the Royal Baby was – Harry's steely look left the question unanswered.How Dominic West Got Into Trouble With Prince Harry When He Asked Royal Baby Gender
November 7, 2013
Political relations were frosty if not frozen, and there was a drop in bilateral arms deals.Was It Irresponsible of Israel to Apologize to Turkey?
Brent E. Sasley
May 21, 2013
Until now, during every clear night the air had been frosty.
When she came in her cheeks were glowing from her run in the frosty air.The Little Colonel
Annie Fellows Johnston
Rosie had lifted her frosty face in a smile of welcome, but Amelia did not see it.Tiverton Tales
And even as they eased him down upon the blankets his snores were rising on the frosty air.White Fang
"That would be unfortunate," he said, with his frosty smile.
- characterized by frosta frosty night
- covered by or decorated with frost
- lacking warmth or enthusiasmthe new plan had a frosty reception
- like frost in appearance or colour; hoary
Word Origin and History for frosty
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper