- File Transfer Protocol: a software protocol for exchanging information between computers over a network.
- any program that implements this protocol.
- (often lowercase) to send (files) to or receive (files) from a remote computer via FTP.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- file transfer protocol; the standard protocol used to transfer files across the internet, or a similar network, between computer systems
- the program implementing this
- (tr) to transfer (a file) in this way
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Short for File Transfer Protocol. A communications protocol governing the transfer of files between computers over a network. Compare HTTP SMTP.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.