- a small glazed pot used by apothecaries for medicines, confections, or the like.
Origin of gallipot1
- a type of turpentine exuded on the stems of certain species of pine.
Origin of galipot
Examples from the Web for gallipot
Historical Examples of gallipot
Let it boil for five minutes, and turn it into a gallipot to cool.Handbook of Embroidery
Patrick's bird's water freezes in the gallipot, and my hands in bed.The Journal to Stella
Duffham came out of his house, a gallipot of ointment in his hand.Johnny Ludlow. First Series
Mrs. Henry Wood
It came in a vast, thick mug, like a gallipot with a handle.
Doctor Gallipot placing his Fortune at the feet of his Mistress.Rowlandson the Caricaturist. Second Volume
- a small earthenware pot used by pharmacists as a container for ointments, etc
Word Origin for gallipot
- a variant spelling of galipot
- a resin obtained from several species of pine, esp from the S European Pinus pinaster