adjective, gam·er, gam·est.
verb (used without object), gamed, gam·ing.
verb (used with object), gamed, gam·ing.
- to die after a brave struggle.
- to remain steadfast or in good spirits at the moment of defeat: He knew that as a candidate he didn't have a chance in the world, but he campaigned anyway and died game.
- Sports. playing very badly (or very well).
- not functioning (or functioning) at one’s usual level: She’s been off her game since she came back from vacation.
- to act or play in accordance with the rules.
- to act honorably or justly: We naively assumed that our allies would continue to play the game.
Origin of game1
Related formsgame·less, adjectivegame·like, adjectivegame·ness, nounun·game·like, adjective
Definition for gamest (2 of 2)
Origin of game2
Examples from the Web for gamest
Wise added, “He is the gamest man I ever saw,” a sentiment everybody seemed to share.When Robert E. Lee Met John Brown and Saved the Union|Michael Korda|May 15, 2014|DAILY BEAST
For its size, the kingfish is considered the gamest of all salt-water fishes.
The gamest of the lot appeared to be a lady broncho-buster called Lil.Down the Yellowstone|Lewis R. Freeman
Shes the best girl in the world, and the gamest little sport.Lola|Owen Davis
One o' my men overheard the Rebel General say, as we came up: says he,—'that's the gamest thing I ever see.'Campaigns of a Non-Combatant,|George Alfred Townsend
Inch for inch, and pound for pound, he is the gamest fish that swims.
British Dictionary definitions for gamest (1 of 2)
- wild animals, including birds and fish, hunted for sport, food, or profit
- (as modifier)game laws
Derived Formsgamelike, adjective
Word Origin for game
British Dictionary definitions for gamest (2 of 2)
Word Origin for game
Idioms and Phrases with gamest
In addition to the idioms beginning with game
- game is not worth the candle, the
- game is up, the
- game that two can play, that's a
- ahead of the game
- at this stage (of the game)
- badger game
- beat someone at his or her own game
- call someone's bluff (game)
- confidence game
- end game
- fair game
- fun and games
give away (the game)losing battle (game)name of the gameonly game in townplay a waiting gameplay gamesplay the gamewaiting gamewhole new ball game.