[ gaw-fer-ing, gof-er- ]
/ ˈgɔ fər ɪŋ, ˈgɒf ər- /


Nearby words

  1. gaudy,
  2. gaudí,
  3. gaudí i cornet,
  4. gaudí i cornet, antonio,
  5. gauffer,
  6. gaugamela,
  7. gauge,
  8. gauge boson,
  9. gauge theory,
  10. gauger


[ gof-er ]
/ ˈgɒf ər /


an ornamental plaiting used for frills and borders, as on women's caps.

verb (used with object)

to flute (a frill, ruffle, etc.), as with a heated iron.
Also gauf·fer [gaw-fer, gof-er] /ˈgɔ fər, ˈgɒf ər/.

Origin of goffer

1700–10; < French gaufre waffle < Middle Dutch wāfel waffle1 Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019

Examples from the Web for gauffering

British Dictionary definitions for gauffering



/ (ˈɡəʊfə) /

verb (tr)

to press pleats into (a frill)
to decorate (the gilt edges of a book) with a repeating pattern


an ornamental frill made by pressing pleats
the decoration formed by goffering books
the iron or tool used in making goffers

Word Origin for goffer

C18: from French gaufrer to impress a pattern, from gaufre, from Middle Low German wāfel; see waffle 1, wafer

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012