[ gof-er-ing ]
/ ˈgɒf ər ɪŋ /


a decorative or ornamental frill, ruffle, etc.

Origin of goffering

First recorded in 1840–50; goffer + -ing1

Definition for goffering (2 of 2)


[ gof-er ]
/ ˈgɒf ər /


an ornamental plaiting used for frills and borders, as on women's caps.

verb (used with object)

to flute (a frill, ruffle, etc.), as with a heated iron.
Also gauf·fer [gaw-fer, gof-er] /ˈgɔ fər, ˈgɒf ər/.

Origin of goffer

1700–10; < French gaufre waffle < Middle Dutch wāfel waffle1
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019

Examples from the Web for goffering

British Dictionary definitions for goffering



/ (ˈɡəʊfə) /

verb (tr)

to press pleats into (a frill)
to decorate (the gilt edges of a book) with a repeating pattern


an ornamental frill made by pressing pleats
the decoration formed by goffering books
the iron or tool used in making goffers

Word Origin for goffer

C18: from French gaufrer to impress a pattern, from gaufre, from Middle Low German wāfel; see waffle 1, wafer
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012