- a decorative or ornamental frill, ruffle, etc.
Origin of goffering
- an ornamental plaiting used for frills and borders, as on women's caps.
- to flute (a frill, ruffle, etc.), as with a heated iron.
Origin of goffer
Examples from the Web for goffering
Historical Examples of goffering
Also, various smoothing-irons and goffering (crimping)-irons, heated on the hearth were applied to garments.Domestic Life in Virginia in the Seventeenth Century
Annie Lash Jester
When he got home, he found Lucy sitting on a stool before the hearth, goffering the frills of a muslin cap.Barbara Lynn
Emily J. Jenkinson
- to press pleats into (a frill)
- to decorate (the gilt edges of a book) with a repeating pattern
- an ornamental frill made by pressing pleats
- the decoration formed by goffering books
- the iron or tool used in making goffers