- an ornamental plaiting used for frills and borders, as on women's caps.
- to flute (a frill, ruffle, etc.), as with a heated iron.
Origin of goffer
Examples from the Web for goffer
Historical Examples of goffer
Hence our verb to goffer, to give a cellular appearance to a frill.The Romance of Words (4th ed.)
Dr. Fellowes had the kindness to give me a goffer (a large field-mouse), undoubtedly Diplostoma bulbivorum.
A new mortification for poor Cinderella, for it was she who had to iron her sisters' fine linen, and goffer their ruffles.Tales of Passed Times
- to press pleats into (a frill)
- to decorate (the gilt edges of a book) with a repeating pattern
- an ornamental frill made by pressing pleats
- the decoration formed by goffering books
- the iron or tool used in making goffers