- the genetic makeup of an organism or group of organisms with reference to a single trait, set of traits, or an entire complex of traits.
- the sum total of genes transmitted from parent to offspring.
Origin of genotype
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the genetic constitution of an organism
- a group of organisms with the same genetic constitution
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The genetic constitution of an organism or a group of organisms.
- A group or class of organisms having the same genetic constitution.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- The genetic makeup of an organism as distinguished from its physical characteristics. Compare phenotype.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.