- the science dealing with the areal differentiation of the earth's surface, as shown in the character, arrangement, and interrelations over the world of such elements as climate, elevation, soil, vegetation, population, land use, industries, or states, and of the unit areas formed by the complex of these individual elements.
- the study of this science.
- the topographical features of a region, usually of the earth, sometimes of the planets.
- a book dealing with this science or study, as a textbook.
- the arrangement of features of any complex entity: the geography of the mind.
Origin of geography
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for geographies
He desired to enjoy the whole show as depicted by the geographies.The Crimson Tide
Robert W. Chambers
His “Navigation” and “Geographies” are in popular use in our schools.Southern Literature From 1579-1895
An' can ye see the meridians jammed together like in the geographies?
"That's what it's sometimes called in the geographies," Rebecca stiffly replied.
Readers, geographies, histories, grammars flew in all directions.The Adventures of Pinocchio
C. Collodi--Pseudonym of Carlo Lorenzini
- the study of the natural features of the earth's surface, including topography, climate, soil, vegetation, etc, and man's response to them
- the natural features of a region
- an arrangement of constituent parts; plan; layout
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for geographies
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The scientific study of the Earth's surface and its various climates, countries, peoples, and natural resources.
- The physical characteristics, especially the surface features, of an area.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.