- to utter mocking or scoffing words; jeer.
- to taunt; deride.
- a taunting or sarcastic remark.
Origin of gibe1
1560–70; perhaps < Middle French giber to handle roughly, shake, derivative of gibe staff, billhook
Synonyms for gibe
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to make jeering or scoffing remarks (at); taunt
- a derisive or provoking remark
Word Origin for gibe
C16: perhaps from Old French giber to treat roughly, of uncertain origin
- a variant spelling of gybe
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for giber
alternative spelling of jibe.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper