- a lightweight, two-piece, usually white garment worn by barefooted martial-arts participants, consisting of loose-fitting pants and a wraparound jacket with cloth belt.
Origin of gi
- a member or former member of the U.S. armed forces, especially an enlisted soldier.
- rigidly adhering to military regulations and practices; regimented; spit-and-polish: a platoon leader who tried to be more GI than anyone else.
- of a standardized style or type issued by the U.S. armed forces: GI shoes; GI blankets.
- conforming to the regulations or practices of the U.S. armed forces: Every recruit must get a GI haircut.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a U.S. enlisted person: a typical peacetime GI complaint.
- to clean in preparation for inspection: to GI the barracks.
- to follow military regulations and customs closely; shape up: You'd better learn to GI if you want to be promoted.
Origin of GI
or G.I.'s, G.I.s.
- the GI's, Slang. diarrhea.
Origin of GI's
Examples from the Web for gis
Contemporary Examples of gis
Only the brave efforts of American Marines and GIs prevented the complete collapse of the state.Al Qaeda’s Next Comeback Could Be Afghanistan And Pakistan
January 13, 2014
Their small world—previously limited to the Shepparton-Cummeragunja area—expands as they meet African-American GIs in Vietnam.‘The Sapphires’: Tony Briggs and His Mum on Racism in Australia, Music & More
March 22, 2013
As many, every six months, as all the GIs killed in combat in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq combined.Bernard-Henri Lévy: My Wish for America
December 30, 2012
Historical Examples of gis
By this gis 1233 does Love, amid his riches, deceive the eye.
The gis of their Minerva was only said to turn men into stones.
A decree of Prince Philip, in 1553, was its gis and was constantly invoked.A History of the Inquisition of Spain; vol. 1
Henry Charles Lea
When arrayed for war she wore a golden helmet and carried a shield, or gis.Greek Sculpture
Estelle M. Hurll
Whatever may have been her motive, she put her gis over our head.The Arena
- geographic(al) information system: a system for storing, editing, and displaying geographical information on computer
- (in Canada) guaranteed income supplement
- a loose-fitting white suit worn in judo, karate, and other martial artsa karate gi
Word Origin for gi
- plural GIs or GI's a soldier in the US Army, esp an enlisted man
- conforming to US Army regulations; of standard government issue
Word Origin for GI
- glycaemic index
- Gingival Index
- Abbreviation of Geographic Information System