- a sex gland in which gametes are produced; an ovary or testis.
Origin of gonad
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- an animal organ in which gametes are produced, such as a testis or an ovary
- slang a foolish or stupid person
C19: from New Latin gonas, from Greek gonos seed
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for gonadal
1880, from Modern Latin gonas (plural gonades), coined from Greek gone, gonos "seed, act of generation, race, family," from gignesthai "be born," related to genos "race, birth, descent" (see genus). Related: gonads.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- An organ that produces gametes, especially a testis or an ovary.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- An organ in animals that produces reproductive cells (gametes). The ovary and testis are gonads.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.