- a sex gland in which gametes are produced; an ovary or testis.
Origin of gonad
Related Words for gonadsgenitalia, nuts, gonads, vulva, testes, stones, pudenda, ballocks, balls, cullions, rocks
Examples from the Web for gonads
Historical Examples of gonads
The gonads are pink in the males, and yellow in the females.
Gonads were moderately active in our specimens as early as mid-July.Summer Birds From the Yucatan Peninsula
Erwin E. Klaas
In birds taken by Coultas in November the gonads were beginning to enlarge; specimens taken in December had swollen gonads.The Avifauna of Micronesia, Volume 3
Rollin H. Baker
The contents of the gonads drop into the central cavity and pass out through the mouth.
Four egg-sacs, or gonads, are conspicuous in horseshoe shape around the center of the disk.
- an animal organ in which gametes are produced, such as a testis or an ovary
- slang a foolish or stupid person
Word Origin for gonad
1880, from Modern Latin gonas (plural gonades), coined from Greek gone, gonos "seed, act of generation, race, family," from gignesthai "be born," related to genos "race, birth, descent" (see genus). Related: gonads.
- An organ that produces gametes, especially a testis or an ovary.
- An organ in animals that produces reproductive cells (gametes). The ovary and testis are gonads.