a large mass of stone forming a hill, cliff, promontory, or the like.
mineral matter of variable composition, consolidated or unconsolidated, assembled in masses or considerable quantities in nature, as by the action of heat or water.
a particular kind of such matter: igneous rock.
stone in the mass: buildings that stand upon rock.
a stone of any size.
something resembling or suggesting a rock.
curling stone: Regulation weight is verified for each rock before the curling match can begin.
a firm foundation or support: The Lord is my rock.
Chiefly British. a kind of hard candy, variously flavored.
rocks .Informal. ice cubes for use in a beverage: He usually orders a whiskey without rocks.
Often rocks .Slang.
a piece of money.
a dollar bill.
a pellet or lump of crack.
Idioms about rock
between a rock and a hard place, between undesirable alternatives.
get one's rocks off, Slang: Vulgar. to have an orgasm.
- rock·less, adjective
- rock·like, adjective
Other definitions for rock (2 of 4)
to move or sway to and fro or from side to side.
to be moved or swayed powerfully with excitement, emotion, etc.
Mining. (of sand or gravel) to be washed in a cradle.
to dance to or play rock music.
(of popular music) to have the driving beat characteristic of rock.
Slang. to be very good, impressive, exciting, or effective: This show really rocks.
to move or sway to and fro or from side to side, especially gently and soothingly: Oh, look! Her big brother is rocking the baby to sleep.
to lull in security, hope, etc.
to affect deeply; move or sway powerfully, as with emotion; stun: Everyone in the courtroom was rocked by the verdict.
to shake or disturb violently: A thunderous explosion rocked the waterfront.
to stir up; animate: We're gonna rock this joint tonight!
to use, wear, or display in a showy, self-confident manner or to great effect: Only you could rock that hat!The game rocks some amazing new features.
Graphic Arts. to roughen the surface of (a copperplate) with a rocker preparatory to scraping a mezzotint.
Mining. cradle (def. 22).
a rocking movement: the gentle rock of the boat.
- rock·a·ble, adjective
- rock·ing·ly, adverb
- un·rocked, adjective
Other definitions for rock (3 of 4)
Other definitions for Rock (4 of 4)
a male given name.
- Also Rock·y [rok-ee] /ˈrɒk i/ .
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2023
How to use rock in a sentence
You’ll also want to have rock-solid commands that will make them come to your side immediately, stop what they’re doing, and drop animals and objects they’ve picked up, Perry says.
Suppose you knew there was a 10 percent chance your opponent would play rock, a 10 percent chance they’d play paper and an 80 percent chance they’d play scissors.
For example, if you knew there was a 40 percent chance your opponent would play rock, a 40 percent chance they’d play paper and a 20 percent chance they’d play scissors, then your best bet would still be to play paper.
Once a rock-ribbed red state, California’s politics were shifting leftward toward progressivism.Suffragette City: San Diego’s Crucial Role in Getting Women the Vote | Randy Dotinga | August 6, 2020 | Voice of San Diego
The main job of the Perseverance rover, set to launch between July 20 and August 11, is to pick out rocks that might preserve signs of past life and store the samples for a future mission back to Earth.NASA’s Perseverance rover will seek signs of past life on Mars | Lisa Grossman | July 28, 2020 | Science News
Some brought rocks and bricks, intent on clashing with the police.
One of the rocks hit Krystyn Atwood, a black girl, and another hit Emily Harr, a white girl.Mark Wahlberg’s Pardon Plea: A Look Back At His Troubling, Violent, and Racist Rap Sheet | Marlow Stern | December 7, 2014 | THE DAILY BEAST
Thirty-two people died when he ran his ship onto the rocks off Tuscany in 2012.
“Otherwise, we go on the rocks,” he can be heard saying in English.
When the ship hit the rocks, the sound of bells ringing and alarms sounding echoed in the theater.
Why not have sought out the pure white lime-rocks of the flat country, or the grey granite of the hills?
Ripperda's equipage wound down a long and twisting defile between two precipitous rocks.The Pastor's Fire-side Vol. 3 of 4 | Jane Porter
A volley did sound, and instantly; but it came from the rocks above, and three of the villains fell.The Pastor's Fire-side Vol. 3 of 4 | Jane Porter
A few small rocks of some soft stone may be added, and in between these the Ferns are planted.How to Know the Ferns | S. Leonard Bastin
The last time I tried it, I caught the end of my stick between two rocks and it broke.The Soldier of the Valley | Nelson Lloyd
British Dictionary definitions for rock (1 of 3)
any hard mass of consolidated mineral matter, such as a boulder
mainly US, Canadian and Australian a stone
a person or thing suggesting a rock, esp in being dependable, unchanging, or providing firm foundation
British a hard sweet, typically a long brightly-coloured peppermint-flavoured stick, sold esp in holiday resorts
slang a jewel, esp a diamond
short for rock salmon
(plural) slang the testicles
slang another name for crack (def. 29)
between a rock and a hard place having to choose between two equally unpleasant alternatives
on the rocks
in a state of ruin or destitution
(of drinks, esp whisky) served with ice
British Dictionary definitions for rock (2 of 3)
to move or cause to move from side to side or backwards and forwards
to reel or sway or cause (someone) to reel or sway, as with a violent shock or emotion
(tr) to shake or move (something) violently
(intr) to dance in the rock-and-roll style
mining to wash (ore) or (of ore) to be washed in a cradle
(tr) to roughen (a copper plate) with a rocker before engraving a mezzotint
(tr) slang, mainly US to impress by wearing (an item of clothing) or playing (a musical instrument): She can still rock a miniskirt; He rocks a guitar like nobody’s business
rock the boat informal to create a disturbance in the existing situation
a rocking motion
short for rock and roll
Also called: rock music any of various styles of pop music having a heavy beat, derived from rock and roll
- See also rock up
British Dictionary definitions for Rock (3 of 3)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Scientific definitions for rock
A relatively hard, naturally occurring mineral material. Rock can consist of a single mineral or of several minerals that are either tightly compacted or held together by a cementlike mineral matrix. The three main types of rock are igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic.
A piece of such material; a stone.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Other Idioms and Phrases with rock
In addition to the idioms beginning with rock
- rock bottom
- rocks in one's head, have
- rock the boat
- between a rock and a hard place
- on the rocks
- steady as a rock
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.