- conformity or devotion to the gothic style in the arts.
- the principles and techniques of the gothic style.
- (sometimes lowercase) barbarism; crudeness.
Origin of Gothicism
Examples from the Web for gothicism
Historical Examples of gothicism
The gothicism, hinted at by Shaftesbury, appears manifestly in the wretched situation to which the best authors were reduced.A Dialogue Concerning Oratory, Or The Causes Of Corrupt Eloquence
In Gothicism we find that the Deity disappears though the devil remains.
There are several clearly marked classes of ghosts in Gothicism.
In general, Gothicism had a tonic effect on English literature, and influenced the continental fiction to no small degree.
Neither are the spirits of to-day limited to any set hours as was the rule in Gothicism.
- conformity to, use of, or imitation of the Gothic style, esp in architecture
- crudeness of manner or style