- giving a clear and effective picture; vivid: a graphic account of an earthquake.
- pertaining to the use of diagrams, graphs, mathematical curves, or the like; diagrammatic.
- of, relating to, or expressed by writing: graphic symbols.
- written, inscribed, or drawn.
- depicted in a realistic or vivid manner: graphic sex and violence.
- containing graphic descriptions: a graphic movie.
- Geology. (of a rock) having a texture formed by the intergrowth of certain minerals so as to resemble written characters.
- Mathematics. pertaining to the determination of values, solution of problems, etc., by direct measurement on diagrams instead of by ordinary calculations.
- of or relating to the graphic arts.
- a product of the graphic arts, as a drawing or print.
- a computer-generated image.
Origin of graphic
Examples from the Web for graphical
A map has a graphical scale on which 1.5 inches reads 500 strides.
To construct a graphical scale of yards; also one to read miles.
Graphical methods of solution are often the best (see Graph).The New Gresham Encyclopedia
This is the graphical construction, and is near enough for practice.Instructions on Modern American Bridge Building
G. B. N. Tower
In 1685, he introduced the first graphical representation of complex numbers.Our Legal Heritage, 5th Ed.
S. A. Reilly
- vividly or clearly describeda graphic account of the disaster
- sexually explicit
- of or relating to writing or other inscribed representationsgraphic symbols
- maths using, relating to, or determined by a grapha graphic representation of the figures
- of or relating to the graphic arts
- geology having or denoting a texture formed by intergrowth of the crystals to resemble writinggraphic granite
Word Origin and History for graphical
"vivid," 1570s (implied in graphically), from Latin graphicus "picturesque," from Greek graphikos "of or for writing, belonging to drawing, picturesque," from graphe "writing, drawing," from graphein "to write" (see -graphy). Meaning "of or pertaining to drawing" is from 1756. Related: Graphically. Graphic design is attested by 1956. Graphic equalizer is from 1969.