- to make a grating sound; scrape harshly; grate; grind.
- to pierce or cut.
- a griding or grating sound.
Origin of gride
Examples from the Web for gride
Historical Examples of gride
He went to her and begged her not to marry Gride, but she thought it her duty.
He went to Gride, too, but the hideous old miser only sneered at him.
Then I saw some cabmen and others had walked boldly into the sand pits, and heard the clatter of hoofs and the gride of wheels.The War of the Worlds
H. G. Wells
Gride, the miser who had plotted to marry Madeline, met almost as terrible a fate as Ralph's.
Ralph, for his share, was to get some of the money the old man Gride knew should be Madeline's.
- (intr) literary to grate or scrape harshly
- obsolete to pierce or wound
- literary a harsh or piercing sound