- any guide or indication of a future course of action: guidelines on the government's future policy.
- a lightly marked line used as a guide, as in composing a drawing, a typed page, or a line of lettering.
- a rope or cord that serves to guide one's steps, especially over rocky terrain, through underground passages, etc.
- a rope or wire used in guiding the movement of stage scenery or curtains being raised or lowered.
Origin of guideline
Related Words for guidelinecode, protocol, guidance, instruction, rule, signal, clue, precept, key, mark, guide, marker
Examples from the Web for guideline
Contemporary Examples of guideline
But I do know I would not read a guideline or listen to the screeching admonishments from across the political spectrum.The Writhing, Miserable Reality of Force Feeding at Guantánamo Bay
May 2, 2013
The similarities in the end of all three practices, Appiah hopes, compose a guideline by which honor can be tamed and harnessed.Why We Still Need Honor
September 18, 2010
Historical Examples of guideline
Even with the help of the guideline it was often difficult enough to find our way.The Voyage of the Vega round Asia and Europe, Volume I and Volume II
Attaching his suit to the guideline nearby, part of the rim's "hairnet," he crept out over the inside edge of the rim.Where I Wasn't Going
- a principle put forward to set standards or determine a course of action