- ended or completed.
- completed or perfected in all details, as a product: to pack and ship finished items.
- polished to the highest degree of excellence: a dazzling and finished piece of writing.
- highly skilled or accomplished: a finished violinist.
- condemned, doomed, or in the process of extinction: The aristocracy was finished after the revolution.
- (of livestock) fattened and ready for market.
Origin of finished
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for half-finished
He glanced at the half-finished letter that lay on his wife's desk.The Film of Fear
I had only half-finished my dinner, and it was time for me to be at the shop.Real Ghost Stories
William T. Stead
I cannot leave a half-finished work—I cannot and I will not!The Home
All about the house, everywhere, there are half-finished things.How to Succeed
Orison Swett Marden
He stood before his easel, on which rested a half-finished canvas.
- only partially completeda half-finished jigsaw puzzle
- (predicative) at the end of a task, activity, etcthey were finished by four
- (predicative) without further hope of success or continuationshe was finished as a prima ballerina