- metalware, as tools, locks, hinges, or cutlery.
- the mechanical equipment necessary for conducting an activity, usually distinguished from the theory and design that make the activity possible.
- military weapons and combat equipment.
- Slang. a weapon carried on one's person: The rougher types were asked to check their hardware at the door.
- Computers. the mechanical, magnetic, electronic, and electrical devices comprising a computer system, as the CPU, disk drives, keyboard, or screen.
Origin of hardware
Examples from the Web for hardware
Contemporary Examples of hardware
A Michigan-based company that supplies fasteners to the hardware store, home center, and industrial markets.The 26 Next Hobby Lobbys
December 17, 2014
A plastic factory, a hardware supplier, and shipping–and-receiving giants like Fed-Ex and DHL are neighboring businesses.House of the Witch: The Renegade Craft Brewers of Panama
November 30, 2014
Not only in terms of the politics on the ground, but in terms of material and hardware.‘Homeland’ Creator Talks Season 4’s ‘Reboot,’ Life After Brody, and How ISIS Will Affect the Show
October 6, 2014
Midwest Fastener Corp Michigan-based company that supplies fasteners to the hardware store, home center, and industrial markets.After Hobby Lobby, These 82 Corporations Could Drop Birth Control Coverage
June 30, 2014
In other words, maybe the hardware was in place, but the software was not taking advantage of it.This Is the Way You’ll Live Forever
Dr. Anand Veeravagu, MD, Tej Azad
May 6, 2014
Historical Examples of hardware
But anything will do, except a grocery or a hardware store and places like that.The Fortune Hunter
Louis Joseph Vance
Hardware was too high in price, and was no longer needed for clothing.Welsh Fairy Tales
William Elliott Griffis
In 1850, he left the trade in dry goods and took up that in hardware.Cleveland Past and Present
"We're in back of Williamson's hardware place," replied Ned.Frank Roscoe's Secret
"His hardware'd melt where I'D tell him to go," he declared.Shavings
Joseph C. Lincoln
- metal tools, implements, etc, esp cutlery or cooking utensils
- computing the physical equipment used in a computer system, such as the central processing unit, peripheral devices, and memoryCompare software
- mechanical equipment, components, etc
- heavy military equipment, such as tanks and missiles or their parts
- informal a gun or guns collectively
Word Origin and History for hardware
- A computer, its components, and its related equipment. Hardware includes disk drives, integrated circuits, display screens, cables, modems, speakers, and printers. Compare software.