- reckless; rash; irresponsible: He had a harum-scarum youth.
- disorganized; uncontrolled.
- recklessly; wildly: He ran harum-scarum all over the place.
- a reckless person.
- reckless or unpredictable behavior or action.
Origin of harum-scarum
Synonyms for harum-scarumSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for harum-scarumwild, daring, rash, carefree, careless, disorderly, erratic, flighty, foolhardy, giddy, haphazard, hasty, imprudent, irresponsible, negligent, regardless, thoughtless, light-minded, scatty
Examples from the Web for harum-scarum
Historical Examples of harum-scarum
A harum-scarum fellow, and pretending to a great scorn for all the girls.A Set of Six
And of how they looked & the harum-scarum things they did & said.Mark Twain, A Biography, 1835-1910, Complete
Albert Bigelow Paine
She's such a wild, harum-scarum thing, and she does love to tease.Miss Pat at School
Of course it was a harum-scarum impression, but it gratified them to hold it.The Shellback's Progress
She was only eighteen, and the most harum-scarum creature you ever saw.Mary Ware's Promised Land
Annie Fellows Johnston
- in a reckless way or of a reckless nature
- a person who is impetuous or rash