- possessing or enjoying good health or a sound and vigorous mentality: a healthy body; a healthy mind.
- pertaining to or characteristic of good health, or a sound and vigorous mind: a healthy appearance; healthy attitudes.
- conducive to good health; healthful: healthy recreations.
- prosperous or sound: a healthy business.
- Informal. fairly large: I bought a healthy number of books.
Origin of healthy
SynonymsSee more synonyms for healthy on Thesaurus.com
1. hale, hearty, robust. 3. nutritious, nourishing. Healthy, healthful, salutary, wholesome refer to the promotion of health. Healthy, while applied especially to what possesses health, is also applicable to what is conducive to health: a healthy climate; not a healthy place to be. Healthful is applied chiefly to what is conducive to health: healthful diet or exercise. Salutary suggests something that is conducive to well-being generally, as well as beneficial in preserving or in restoring health: salutary effects; to take salutary measures. It is used also to indicate moral benefit: to have a salutary fear of devious behavior. Wholesome has connotations of attractive freshness and purity; it applies to what is good for one, physically, morally, or both: wholesome food; wholesome influences or advice.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for healthiness
For without these considerations, the healthiness of a dwelling cannot be assured.Ten Books on Architecture
I have enough to do to maintain them in any healthiness when alone.The Works of Charles and Mary Lamb
There is a healthiness of feeling in this, Mr. Parley, which is quite delightful.'Peter Parley's Visit to London
The healthiness of Louisville is everywhere a subject of remark.
The advantages of this new route were healthiness and rapidity.The Thistle and the Cedar of Lebanon
Habeeb Risk Allah
- enjoying good health
- functioning well or being soundthe company's finances are not very healthy
- conducive to health; salutary
- indicating soundness of body or minda healthy appetite
- informal considerable in size or amounta healthy sum
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for healthiness
It is wrong to say that certain articles of food are healthy or unhealthy. Wholesome and unwholesome are the right words. A pig may be healthy or unhealthy while alive; but after he is killed and becomes pork, he can enjoy no health, and suffer no sickness. [Eliza Leslie, "Miss Leslie's Behaviour Book," Philadelphia, 1839]
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Possessing good health.
- Conducive to good health; healthful.
- Indicative of sound, rational thinking or frame of mind.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.