- warm-hearted; affectionate; cordial; jovial: a hearty welcome.
- genuine; sincere; heartfelt: hearty approval; hearty dislike.
- completely devoted; wholehearted: hearty support.
- exuberant; unrestrained: hearty laughter.
- violent; forceful: a hearty push; a hearty kick.
- physically vigorous; strong and well: hale and hearty.
- substantial; abundant; nourishing: a hearty meal.
- enjoying or requiring abundant food: a hearty appetite.
- (of soil) fertile.
- a brave or good fellow, especially with reference to a shipmate.
- a sailor.
Origin of hearty
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for heartiest
The show features the best voice talent, the most absurd writers, and the heartiest belly laughs on TV.The Best TV Shows of 2013: ‘Orange Is the New Black,’ ‘Breaking Bad’ and More
December 13, 2013
What wine to serve at Thanksgiving can flummox even the heartiest of gourmands.The Best Thanksgiving Wines
November 19, 2010
It was the law of the land, however, which had his heartiest abhorrence.Confessions Of Con Cregan
Charles James Lever
And then goes on with her snipping and paring with the heartiest unconcern.Molly Bawn
Margaret Wolfe Hamilton
Sir Cæsar began, in his heartiest voice, to show that he bore no malice.Major Vigoureux
A. T. Quiller-Couch
As it was, he gave him the heartiest and most dutiful of welcomes.The Giant's Robe
But I know exactly how they feel, and they have my heartiest sympathy.When Life Was Young
C. A. Stephens
- warm and unreserved in manner or behaviour
- vigorous and enthusiastica hearty slap on the back
- sincere and heartfelthearty dislike
- healthy and strong (esp in the phrase hale and hearty)
- substantial and nourishing
- a comrade, esp a sailor
- a vigorous sporting mana rugby hearty
Word Origin and History for heartiest
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Idioms and Phrases with heartiest
see hale and hearty.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.