- greatly interested or preoccupied, almost to an irrational extent; obsessed (usually followed by on): He's hipped on learning to play the tuba.
Origin of hipped2
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- having a hip or hips
- (in combination)broad-hipped; low-hipped
- (esp of cows, sheep, reindeer, elk, etc) having an injury to the hip, such as a dislocation of the bones
- architect having a hip or hipsSee also hipped roof
- (often postpositive foll by on) US and Canadian old-fashioned, slang very enthusiastic (about)
C20: from hip 4
Word Origin and History for hipped on
"having hips," c.1500, past participle adjective; see hip (n.1)). In architecture from 1823.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper