- having big hips.
Origin of hippy1
Origin of hippy2
- a person, especially of the late 1960s, who rejected established institutions and values and sought spontaneity, direct personal relations expressing love, and expanded consciousness, often expressed externally in the wearing of casual, folksy clothing and of beads, headbands, used garments, etc.
Origin of hippie
Examples from the Web for hippy
Contemporary Examples of hippy
Regardless, that goes double for a hippy isle full of expats and pungent pot known as Bocas del Toro.A Man, a Plan, a Canal: Panama Turns 100
August 17, 2014
The Clinton Foundation chose Tulsa, Oklahoma, for the first Too Small to Fail project because it was an early adopter of HIPPY.How a Kids Program Hillary Brought to Arkansas Could Unite Democrats
April 25, 2014
Or the inimitable Oregon Country Fair, a 45,000-person, three-day Woodstock-esque hippy festival in the woods outside Eugene.Hold Up, Hipsters: Stop Obsessing Over Oregon
January 10, 2014
Was Ananda Marchildon too fat, or, specifically, too hippy to receive the €75,000 in assignments promised by the show?Dutch Model Deemed ‘Too Fat’ Gets Her Day in Court and Poses to Prove Her Point
Nadette De Visser
March 6, 2012
Historical Examples of hippy
Hippy said he pounded and shouted and howled and wailed and pounded some more.
You haven't seen the bride's table in the tent yet, have you, Hippy?
Hippy said he would accompany her, but Grace shook her head.
"We have seen him only once since you were here," Hippy informed him.
"That is what we are trying to find out," Hippy informed him.
- (esp during the 1960s) a person whose behaviour, dress, use of drugs, etc, implied a rejection of conventional values
- (as modifier)hippy language
Word Origin for hippy
- informal (esp of a woman) having large hips
- a variant spelling of hippy 1
c.1965, American English (Haight-Ashbury slang); earlier hippie, 1953, was a usually disparaging variant of hipster (1941) "person who is keenly aware of the new and stylish," from hip "up-to-date" (see hip (adj.)).