- human immunodeficiency virus.See under AIDS virus.
- a variable retrovirus that invades and inactivates helper T cells of the immune system and is a cause of AIDS and AIDS-related complex: variants were identified in several laboratories and independently named lymphadenopathy-associated virus (LAV), human T-cell lymphotropic virus type 3 (HTLV-3), and AIDS-related virus (ARV), the name human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) being subsequently proposed by an international taxonomy committee.
Examples from the Web for hiv
Egypt has a comparatively low number of HIV cases compared to the rest of Africa, with just 11,000 infected people nationwide.Sisi Is Persecuting, Prosecuting, and Publicly Shaming Egypt’s Gays
December 30, 2014
The following year, he developed pneumocystis pneumonia—a serious infection associated with HIV and AIDS.The LGBT Center That Changed Our Lives
December 22, 2014
Some medicines, like HIV drugs, are very expensive, as most them are under brand names.No More Paper Prescriptions: Docs Fight Fraud by Going Electronic
December 18, 2014
He is, in many ways, the new face of the HIV epidemic—not just in Britain, but also across the world.
Each day, more than 2,400 young people become infected with HIV.
Hiv I no' a richt to tak' the breadth o' the street if I want it?Erchie
(AKA Hugh Foulis) Neil Munro
Some doay Oi'll tell yez about th' big shnakes we hiv in Oireland.Frank Merriwell's Chums
Burt L. Standish
Hive′-bee, the common honey-bee; Hiv′er; Hive′-nest, a large nest built and occupied by several pairs of birds in common.
An hiv I reely tae dae this wi a ma beesties gin the Germans come?Anecdotes of the Great War
Carleton Britton Case
- human immunodeficiency virus; the cause of AIDS. Two strains have been identified: HIV-1 and HIV-2
Word Origin and History for hiv
1986, initialism from human immunodeficiency virus, name for either of the two viruses that cause AIDS.
- Human immunodeficiency virus; a retrovirus that causes AIDS by infecting helper T cells of the immune system. The most common serotype, HIV-1, is distributed worldwide, while HIV-2 is primarily confined to West Africa.AIDS virus human T-cell leukemia virus type III human T-cell lymphotrophic virus type III lymphadenopathy-associated virus
- Short for human immunodeficiency virus. Any of various strains of a retrovirus of the genus Lentivirus that cause AIDS by infecting the body's immune system.
An abbreviation for human immunodeficiency virus, the virus that causes AIDS.