- something used to hold or secure a thing in place; a catch, hook, clamp, etc.
- Botany, Mycology. any of several rootlike or suckerlike organs or parts serving for attachment.
Origin of holdfast
Examples from the Web for holdfast
Historical Examples of holdfast
He then began to wander, and Holdfast's question remained unanswered.Put Yourself in His Place
Oh, no,” was the reply; “Mr. Holdfast had not yet come back.Great Porter Square, v. 2
Benjamin Leopold Farjeon
Small wonder that Mr. Holdfast was captivated by them and by her beauty!
But even this money,” said Mr. Holdfast to her, “would not last for ever.
Mr. Holdfast was touched to his inmost soul by the pathos of this situation.
- the act of gripping strongly
- such a grip
- any device used to secure an object, such as a hook, clamp, etc
- the organ of attachment of a seaweed or related plant