- self-government in local matters by a city, province, state, colony, or the like.
Origin of home rule
Related Words for home ruleself-determination, self-rule, autonomy, independence, autarchy, self-direction
Examples from the Web for home rule
Historical Examples of home rule
He's too deeply rooted in his attachment to his Home-Rule scheme.
But that was, of course, before I bolted on the Home-Rule question.
The Home-Rule plant they would forbid to grow on Irish ground.
Home-Rule—a very solid thing—fully occupies my mind—for the present.
The passion of the South American patriot has been home-rule, but, unfortunately, home-rule has not always meant self-government.Prowling about Panama
George A. Miller
- self-government, esp in domestic affairs
- US government the partial autonomy of cities and (in some states) counties, under which they manage their own affairs, with their own charters, etc, within the limits set by the state constitution and laws
- the partial autonomy sometimes granted to a national minority or a colony
- self-government for Ireland: the goal of the Irish Nationalists from about 1870 to 1920