- determination by oneself or itself, without outside influence.
- freedom to live as one chooses, or to act or decide without consulting another or others.
- the determining by the people of the form their government shall have, without reference to the wishes of any other nation, especially by people of a territory or former colony.
Origin of self-determination
Related Words for self-determinationautonomy, self-sufficiency, self-reliance, separation, sovereignty, self-government, self-rule, qualification, aptitude, autarchy, ability, license
Examples from the Web for self-determination
Contemporary Examples of self-determination
So where does this leave the millions of Palestinians—like my relatives—who dream of self-determination and a sovereign state?In the Middle East, the Two-State Solution Is Dead
January 2, 2015
“A referendum on self-determination is necessary to reset the relationship between Catalonia and Spain,” according to the site.Europe’s Secession Panic
Barbie Latza Nadeau
September 18, 2014
Many outsiders indeed strongly supported the right of self-determination for South Sudanese.Government Ceasefire Is First Step Towards Peace in South Sudan
John Prendergast, Akshaya Kumar
January 24, 2014
I am a citizen of two countries that attained their independence through hard-won fights for self-determination.The South Sudan Clashes Are No Tribal War
December 30, 2013
Besides, the Jewish people had a legitimate right to self-determination, particularly given their history.Beinart and Shenhav Debate One State Versus Two
September 18, 2013
Historical Examples of self-determination
The right of self-determination is the international expression of this challenge.The American Empire
And life belongs to him; for the self-determination of thought is life, and he is self-determination.Aristotle and Ancient Educational Ideals
Reason manifested in the forms of power is self-determination.
Spontaneity or self-determination only thereby becomes will.
The second was the so-called Cossack separatism or self-determination.The Russian Turmoil
Anton Ivanovich Denikin
- the power or ability to make a decision for oneself without influence from outside
- the right of a nation or people to determine its own form of government without influence from outside