- the state of being homogamous.
- interbreeding of individuals with like characteristics.
Origin of homogamy
First recorded in 1870–75; homo-
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for homogamy
Historical Examples of homogamy
Isolation, then, is a genus, of which Apogamy and Homogamy are species.
For the sake, however, of securing more descriptive terms, I will coin the words Apogamy and Homogamy.
In the former case there arises Homogamy, and in the latter case there arises Apogamy.
British Dictionary definitions for homogamy
Derived Formshomogamous, adjective
- a condition in which all the flowers of an inflorescence are either of the same sex or hermaphroditeCompare heterogamy (def. 3)
- the maturation of the anthers and stigmas of a flower at the same time, ensuring self-pollinationCompare dichogamy
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for homogamy
1805, "condition of bearing flowers that do not differ sexually," from homo- (1) "same" + -gamy.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Reproduction within a group that perpetuates qualities or traits that distinguish the group from a larger group of which it is part.inbreeding
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.