- a contemptuous term used to refer to a homosexual, especially a male homosexual.
Origin of homo
- (italics) the genus of bipedal primates that includes modern humans and several extinct forms, distinguished by their large brains and a dependence upon tools.Compare archaic Homo.
- Informal. (sometimes lowercase)
- a member of the genus Homo.
- the species Homo sapiens or one of its members.
Origin of Homo
- a combining form appearing in loanwords from Greek, where it meant “same” (homology); on this model, used in the formation of compound words (homomorphic).
Origin of homo-
- “Behold the man!”: the words with which Pilate presented Christ, crowned with thorns, to his accusers. John 19:5.
- Art. a painting, statue, or other representation of Christ crowned with thorns.
Examples from the Web for homo
Contemporary Examples of homo
Understanding odds has never been a strength of Homo sapiens.A Doctor Explains Why Cruise Ships Should Be Banned
November 19, 2014
The results are in and Homo habilis, our primate forebear, has won another round.The Top 10 Diets of 2013 Are All Useless (Except to Book Publishers)
December 29, 2013
During Koch's 1977 mayoral primary against Mario, posters of mysterious origin appeared saying, “Vote for Cuomo, Not the Homo”.Ed Koch Goes Out in Style
February 4, 2013
But in terms of beneficial public-health impact, nothing Homo sapiens has invented thus far outpaces the vaccine.Get Your Damn Flu Shot
January 18, 2013
“Vote for Cuomo, Not the Homo,” the anonymous posters urged.Ed Koch at 88: New York’s Still-Outspoken Ex-Mayor Holds No Grudges
January 11, 2013
Historical Examples of homo
Was the oldest 'Homo sapiens' pliocene or miocene, or yet more ancient?On Some Fossil Remains of Man
Thomas H. Huxley
"There's somebody coming down the main drive," whispered Homo.
"You are greatly interested in a grass fire," said Homo curiously.
Then she suddenly withdrew her gaze from the sky and looked Homo straight in the face.
"On your own head be it," said Homo, his hard face creased in a fleeting smile.
- informal short for homosexual
- Canadian informal homogenized milk
- a genus of hominids including modern man (see Homo sapiens) and several extinct species of primitive man, including Homo habilis and Homo erectus
Word Origin for Homo
- a picture or sculpture of Christ crowned with thorns
Word Origin for Ecce Homo
- being the same or likehomologous; homosexual Compare hetero-
Word Origin for homo-
Word Origin and History for homo
short for homosexual (n.), attested by 1929; usually contemptuous.
word-forming element meaning "same, the same, equal, like," before vowels hom-, from Greek homos "one and the same," also "belonging to two or more jointly," from PIE *somos (cf. Sanskrit samah "even, the same," Lithuanian similis "like," Gothic sama "the same," samana "together;" see same).
Latin, literally "behold the man" (John xix:5).
- Same; like:homotype.
- A prefix meaning same, as in homogamous, having the same kind of flower.